Philosophy Of Moderation : Junk Food


 

Today morning when I woke up, my son told me that he wants to take some junk food to school as Dussera breaks will be starting and he wants to celebrate it with his school friends and party around with some junk food. So, I gave him some homemade cookies and cupcakes. I did not say "No" to him. 

Forbidden fruit is indeed sweeter. So when children ask for snacks or junk food, it is better to give them a little (in moderate quantity) than to deny them altogether. Saying “no” straightaway to sweet treats or unhealthy snacks will only make children desire them  more. Give them a choice when they ask for it – ask them if they would like to have it now  or later. If they insist on it there and then, tell them that the next round will have to be the next day or the day after, depending on whatever rules you have set for them.   

 

I've always liked the concept of the "80/20" rule: fill your diet with good stuff 80% of the time. It aligns with my overall philosophy of moderation when it comes to health. By practicing this rule, junk food will never be front and centre in a kid’s mind.

Sure, my kid prefers a bowl of cereal and milk for breakfast, but I insist he starts out his morning with a fruit and veggie smoothie first. In the same way, their afternoon snack may include cookies at times, but it always begins with fruit. And sometimes, that ends up being enough for them anyway. 

     


Without being the household bore on all things health-related, I try to keep up an ongoing discussion in our home about the benefits of great, nutritious food. For example, if broccoli is part of the meal, I might mention the nutrients and health benefits in it and explain why they're great for our bodies. 

At the same time, I also find it's equally important to lay off the nutrition speak once in a while and just enjoy dinner together. I don't want a kid who is obsessed with food one way or another.

---ADVERTISEMENT---

Before I finish this article I just wanted to say how important communication is and that everybody should be able to communicate all around the world but we can't do that if we don't speak the same languages. Did you learn a foreign language in school? Can you  speak it fluently? Don't let those years and money spent be a waste! You can "Speak Any Language Instantly" and it's free. Everybody in the world speaks one of 15 languages. And I give you all 15 languages, for free! After finishing reading my article, please  visit  www.AnaEzine.webs.com because this 3-minute program will make you fluent! Please read my disclaimer at that website. And to see sources and quotes of scientific research that has shown that speaking a second language fluently will increase the size of the brain, make it disease resistant, and slow down aging so that you live longer and have a quicker mind and more productive life, as well as greater career advancement and academic performance and achievement! And it's all free!  Now back to my article... 

---ARTICLE CONTINUES---
I cook in the kitchen almost every evening. Getting kids accustomed to eating a home-cooked meal at the table establishes a standard that simply doesn’t allow for much junk food. When the majority of their meals are at home, I can omit just about anything processed, plus introduce new healthy foods.

  

No matter what our meal at home is, vegetables are always served in large quantities. My kid knows that eating veggies is not optional, and he is exposed to many different varieties throughout a given week.

Noticing that my son likes putting his leftover money in her coin bank, I encourage him to save his pocket money, instead of spending it on junk food. After all, good habits are not built in one day but they surely begin at home.

What's your philosophy around giving junk food to kids? Do share your thoughts with me.



--Ritu




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Explore the world with Scotty's WanderQuest

Organic Harvest Jasmine/Rose/Frangipani Soap Bar : Quick Review

Smart Mother’s need Smartivity products for Smart Kids !!